Re. the earlier problem, here is what I found:
1) custom classes in their own package and in their own jar
   under WEB-INF/lib: ClassNotFoundException
2) custom classes in their own package and in their own jar or
   aar under WEB-INF/services: ClassNotFoundException; note that
   in this case you must include a services.xml files (I used
   an empty one, i.e., just <serviceGroup/>) in the jar or aar
   file, otherwise Axis will complain about that as well
3) custom classes in their own package and in core.aar: works!
4) custom classes in net/sf/basedb/ws/server and therefore in
   core.aar: works but it is a last-resort option
So I am reasonably happy with 4): the worst scenario is that
you have to unpack and then repack third-party jars.

> I don't see how it would be possible to return any
> structured information as simple strings.

One could use JSON or even XML.

> As far as I know it was no problem with perl.

OK.

-- O.L.