I have no help on upgrading BASE without restarting tomcat but we are
running several BASE server instances on one machine. Each BASE instance
runs in their own tomcat instance . This allows us to change and update
BASE servers independently of each other. Maybe this helps you? I can
give you more information on  how to setup this if  you think it helps you.

Cheers,

Jari