We do this at the LCB too and yes it works fine with the firewall.

You will want apache2 as a front-end to your tomcat(s). You can
choose to connect to several workers on a single tomcat instance or
connect to several instances on different ports.

The apache2-tomcat setup is fairly simple using mod_proxy_ajp,
basically you just need to activate the module and add the following
to your virtual host:

ProxyPass /base2 ajp://localhost:8009/base2
ProxyPass /base2dev ajp://localhost:8019/base2dev

Adjusting of course for local paths and tomcat ports (each tomcat
instance uses four ports I believe).

/Emil