On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:58:19 +0700 Eric Abrahamsen <e...@ericabrahamsen.net>
wrote:

EA> On Fri, Oct 28 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> I put together some code that uses CouchDB to store Gnus group
>> subscriptions and marks in gnus-sync.el.  It works well; so well in fact
>> that I'm considering doing the same for BBDB records.  Imagine having
>> your BBDB entirely stored on a central server instead of a local file.
>> Yes, kind of like LDAP, but not so hard to use and much more accessible.
>>
>> In order to do this I will have to generalize and improve the
>> gnus-sync.el code that talks to CouchDB.  But I wanted to first find out
>> if this interests anyone (and please feel free to tell me my idea
>> sucks), or if there's existing functionality that I would be
>> duplicating.  I'm not aware of such.

EA> Out of curiosity, what sort of support would be needed on the server
EA> side. Just a CouchDB installation? I assume it's the sort of thing you'd
EA> need your own hosting and SSH access to set up?

Just CouchDB (you may need to install some custom design views, but
that's trivial and I already do it for gnus-sync.el).

There's something interesting here.  CouchDB has built-in multipoint
replication (master-master) over HTTP.  So you can run your own locally
and another one somewhere else; the replication is trivial to set up.
So rather than a world-visible CouchDB server you could have two private
ones talking over HTTP.

As for third-party solutions, see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091735/is-there-a-hosted-couchdb-service-provider

Cloudant and Iris Couch have free plans to provide hosted CouchDB that
will probably be good enough for most of us.  I can host people on my
server as long as I can afford it :)  But the idea is that this is an
infrastructure you can easily obtain, and the BBDB sync will ride on top
of it.

Ted