On Sat Aug 30 2014 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I've never even gotten bbdb-print to work, it's always complained
> about undefined control sequences or something.

The lisp code should work fine.  I made sure that bbdb-print-record
does not fail in the rare case that the value of an xfield is a
sexp.  Also, bbdb-print now issues a message at the end that the
resulting file should be processed with tex, but not with latex
(till someone writes a LaTeX template).

> The tex code is very old, and doesn't make any provisions for
> non-latin characters. Probably the easiest stop-gap would be to
> change bbdb-print-prolog and bbdb-print-epilog to wrap the whole
> thing in latex statements or what have you, either make use of
> babel, or xelatex. I don't know if that would be enough to do the
> trick, but if it worked it would be the simplest solution.

The current plain TeX templates work well for me with latin utf8
characters, but they fail with, say, japanese characters (which
happen to be the only non-latin characters in my BBDB).

It would be nice if the old plain TeX templates get replaced by some
LaTeX templates that should make the code more robust and matching
what most people use nowadays.  -- Volunteers welcome!  (Please
assign the copyright for such a project to the FSF.  Copyright is
another reason to get rid of the old TeX files.)

2014-08-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-print.el (bbdb-print-require): Improve docstring.

2014-08-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-print.el (bbdb-print): Clarify prompt for file name.
        Issue message on what to do with TeX file.

2014-08-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-print.el (bbdb-print-record): Handle xfields the value
        of which are sexps.