"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sat Aug 30 2014 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I've never even gotten bbdb-print to work, it's always complained
>> about undefined control sequences or something.
>
> The lisp code should work fine.  I made sure that bbdb-print-record
> does not fail in the rare case that the value of an xfield is a
> sexp.  Also, bbdb-print now issues a message at the end that the
> resulting file should be processed with tex, but not with latex
> (till someone writes a LaTeX template).

Very good!

>> The tex code is very old, and doesn't make any provisions for
>> non-latin characters. Probably the easiest stop-gap would be to
>> change bbdb-print-prolog and bbdb-print-epilog to wrap the whole
>> thing in latex statements or what have you, either make use of
>> babel, or xelatex. I don't know if that would be enough to do the
>> trick, but if it worked it would be the simplest solution.
>
> The current plain TeX templates work well for me with latin utf8
> characters, but they fail with, say, japanese characters (which
> happen to be the only non-latin characters in my BBDB).

with tex or with xetex?

> It would be nice if the old plain TeX templates get replaced by some
> LaTeX templates that should make the code more robust and matching
> what most people use nowadays.  -- Volunteers welcome!  (Please
> assign the copyright for such a project to the FSF.  Copyright is
> another reason to get rid of the old TeX files.)

For you information: The documentation in bbdb-print.el is also partly
outdated.

;;; In the *BBDB* buffer, type P to convert the listing to TeX
;;; format. It will prompt you for a filename.  Then run TeX on that
;;; file and print it out.

Now we have:

P runs the command bbdb-prev-field, which is an interactive compiled
Lisp function in `bbdb.el'.

Thanks

        Dieter

> 2014-08-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
>       * lisp/bbdb-print.el (bbdb-print-require): Improve docstring.
>
> 2014-08-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
>       * lisp/bbdb-print.el (bbdb-print): Clarify prompt for file name.
>       Issue message on what to do with TeX file.
>
> 2014-08-30  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
>       * lisp/bbdb-print.el (bbdb-print-record): Handle xfields the value
>       of which are sexps.

Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt, Germany