Carson Chittom <car...@wistly.net> writes:

> die...@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:
>
>> my bbdb file is encoded in utf8 and when I try to print entries and
>> converting the resulting bbdb.tex file, I'm getting weird characters in
>> either the .dvi and .pdf file.  How would you deal with the situation?

> How are you creating the PDF?

I'm on Debian, which is to say: The TeX system there is texlive (this is
the package name) and I used the executable pdftex or tex to process the
bbdb.tex.

> Have you tried using XeTeX?

Eeehem, always thought XeTeX would be another tex distribution!
Installed texlive-xetex and xetex bbdb.tex gives the expected results
with umlaute, accents, ...  Thanks a lot for the pointer! :-)

          Dieter

Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt, Germany