On Sunday 09 August 2009 12:18:51 Xu Peter wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> This is the first time I post my words on a mail list, so I would be
> enlighted if it works ...
>
> I am a newbie of perl. I have got through some classic perl books, such as
> <Learning Perl> and <Intermediate Perl>, and I did some tiny works on perl,
> e.g. a Tk helper that helps me with my vocabulary study, and a BBS search
> engine works under TELNET(which is really poor ... ).
>
> I really liked perl since it's really convenient in programming(not only
> the syntaxs, but also CPAN, e.g. we can use IO::Socket to do network jobs
> rather than system APIs), and I want to get deeper in learning perl. Does
> anyone can give me some advice on HOW?
>
> My rough idea is :
> 1. What I need now is more code reading, and maybe write a module of my
> own? Is there any suggested modules to learn for a beginner?
> 2. Maybe I am not fully prepared, but I really want to anticipate in some
> free software projects(or say, devote some of my time to the free software,
> from where I got lots of help), but I don't know what to start.

I maintain a site with resources for Perl beginners here:

http://perl-begin.org/

You may wish to go over the pages for links and references. You can also see
my recommendations for Perl (and other non-fiction books) here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/books-recommends/

I see you want to read other people's code and write some of your own. If you
want, I have some Perl projects that may prove of interest to you and that I'd
love to get some help with:

1. http://github.com/bricas/cpanhq/tree/master

2. http://github.com/shlomif/catable/tree

3. http://web-cpan.berlios.de/ (and
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/web-cpan/ )

There are many other Perl projects out there that people could use help with.

Other than that, you may wish to read some of Ingy's code, which tends to be
very high-quality:

* http://search.cpan.org/~ingy/

(Although you should probably avoid using Spiffy for OOP.)

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish