In a message dated 02/27/2003 11:24:36 AM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I guess if these are not available for dogs, >>

The collars that are made with the plastic clip type fastener do function as
a break away collar.  We had it happen with my Cavalier when his leash got
caught and the collar snapped open with the two "prongs" breaking off,
releasing the dog.

As with so many things in life, you choose your risks.  On the one hand is
the chance to lose the dog, on the other is the chance of injury.  My guess
is, there is a very small chance of either if you are a reasonably careful
guardian, so each person must decide which direction is right for them.

Anne Copeland, Flash,TDI/CGC (Berner, 8 1/2 yrs.) & Gypsy TDI/CGC(Rescue
Cavalier,2 yrs.)
BMDCSEW Tracking Test Chair/Sec.
NE ILL       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ty's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/workingyorkie/ty.html