You are not following the steps as intended. Most likely because my
description is lacking. I'll make a few comments here that might help, but
suggest studying the steps carefully for hidden meaning.

Viewing things 'directly' in email has brain-dead crippled copy/paste
interface that limits you to copying single words or getting definitions.

That is why the attachement needs to be an html file. Clicking on an html
attachment shows the file directly in safari and you get the full
copy/paste services.

Sounds to me like you are attaching the original text (or ijs) file to the
email. You need to attach the html file that is the result of applying
jattach to that original file.

   jattach '............your file.....'
   NB. jattach creates file ~temp/jattach.html
   NB. this html file is a simple html wrapper around your file
   NB, ~temp/jattach.html is the file you want to attach to your email
message

clicking on the jattach.html attachment in the email on your iPad will
display the text of your original file in a browser window that has full
copy/paste support. Tap and hold and you will get all the text selected and
will be able to tap copy.

Hope this helps.