Hi Michael,

Sorry everyone for the pre-mature "empty" post.

As far as dog breeds look at your environment and climate.  There are many
good LGD breeds.  The Great Pyrenees is least likely to bite a human but do
not do as well in high temperatures.  The Anatolians are from what I have
seen more aggressive towards humans and handle heat better.  I could use
some "Anatolian" traits in my LGDs to help with my two legged coyote
(thieves).  I am sure someone with Anatolians can give you better
information.

I have raised several litters of puppies with 8 month old lambs penned up
during the winter months without problems.  These were ewe lambs and they
had no problem thumping a puppy that got out of line.  But the key is to
raise the puppies with your livestock.  The livestock become family and
nobody messes with family!  At one year old my puppies really kicked it in
regarding the coyote.  Several were seriously hurt but healed up well.  This
has lead my dogs to being a bit "over the top" with a grudge against the
coyote.

I have never raised newborn lambs with puppies before.  I have three bottle
babies that are newborns being raised right now with puppies born on April
15th.  At this moment they are at equal development status.  The puppies
lick and socialize with the lambs.  And the lambs socialize with the puppies
with the occasional nipple search thrown in.  I have the bottle babies
kennel immediately adjacent to the puppies kennel.  They sleep next to each
other with the bars of their kennels between them.  I only let the lambs
with the puppies under supervision right now.  They play with each other
with the lambs being much taller and more mobile.  The puppies' momma thinks
it is great to have more family around.  Both puppies and lambs will have to
be moved outside within days from my garage/shop.  The mess is getting to
the breaking point.

Although it might be possible to get a good dog from non-working parents I
would not advise it.  A mature dog that has not been around livestock is
probably not a great idea either.  You cannot look at a puppy and tell if it
is the run the perimeter (whole neighborhood) version or the stay with the
flock version.  My perimeter running dogs are very respectful of any
neighbors dog's territory.  But if the neighbors do not have a dog their
territory falls under the umbrella of protection of my perimeter dogs
service.  A empty house for sale has become a sentry station with convenient
dusk to dawn light.  Come daylight the perimeter dogs come home to sleep
with the sheep.

Whatever you decide do not scold the dogs for barking.  Barking is what they
do and acknowledge that before you buy a LGD.

Mark Wintermute

Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Coyote fence ideas

starting to look into LGDs locally. I'll try googling on the subject
regarding the dogs themselves, but there are some AB-BB questions related to
dogs I'd like to ask:

male or female dog? does it matter?
at what weight/age are the AB-BB lambs, that they are less likely to get
played with and accidentally killed?
at what age are the dogs when they are less likely to accidentally kill a
AB-BB lamb?

since we only breed once a year--in this case, once in 3 years-- and only
two or three ewes at a time, we don't have a bunch of spare lambs around to
spend allowing a puppy to figure things out.

-Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies