the onlyy one I've seen is the silva.  You have to hold it level and steady
and open the lid to lock the needle.

Realize that no magnetic compass is going to be very reliable in urban areas
when being carried by a pedestrian.  There is just too much iron about  and
the mag compasses are being continuously diverted.

It's different in a car since you can calibrate the compass to compensate
for the engine of the car and that helps keep nearby iron based materials
from diverting the thing.

I've been working with mag compass electronics and with a solid state gyro
to try to average out the errors, and it's a real bucket of worms that I
havn't yet got working to get a repeatable reliable result.

And don't tell me they put them in cell phones, I know that and they don't
work very well.

Tom Fowle
Smith-Kettlewell RERC