Hi Sheryl
I hope there is a less expensive solution out there for you, but :
check with Kaptek
http://www.kaptek.net
who makes expensive talking products for the blind,
and

Omega Engineering
http://www.omegaengineering.com

makes the "Omega Says" UV1000 universal voice.

This device comes with a temperature probe that, i believe goes to well over
a thousand degrees F.

It also measures electrical current and voltage and can be programmed by
connecting to a computer with different scales.
But you don't need all that.
As it comes the "thermocouple' probe, looking like a wire you plug into the
unit, will measure temperature directly.

This is about $250.00 i think. so I hope you can find something cheaper.

It speaks the readings when you push a button, or you can turn on a mode
where it repeats every few seconds.

If you don't find anything cheaper, I have more info at work and can get you
more if you need it next week.

A warning, if you buy from Omega engineering, do not under any circumstances
mention blindness! They are scared silly of blind folks and took another
talking product off the market because they didn't want to sell it to us.

There stuff is good enough, some of it is unique and otherwise unavailable
but very expensive and they are nutty and paranoid.

Tom Fowle
Smiith-Kettlewell RERC