Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 09:48:51 -0700
From: "Rodney Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bmwuucdigest" <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>,
   "Norm Reini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: E28 M5 Thrust arm bushings

Norm,
The E-34, M5 upper control arm/ thrust rod bushing does not have a plastic
compression limiter installed in it.
I assume Bavarian Auto used the 750 bushing given the photos.
That I understand the M5 bushings (p/n: 31 12 2 226 528) is all rubber
design.
The 750 bushing (p/n: 31 12 1 136 607, also used on the E-31, 850 all to
include the Euro 850CSi) is fluid filled with the plastic limiters.

I have had an E-34, M5 and M6 since 1990 and more recently an 850Ci.  I
converted my M5 to the 607 and M6 shortly after to a milled down 607 bushing
early on, in 1994.  I have replaced them only once as part of a normal
suspension upgrade/maintenance, not because of a shimmy.  I have yet to have
a braking related shimmy with these bushings installed.  I also use the
N'ring brakes 345x32mm rotors w/4-piston caliper on all 3 cars so the
bushings have been tested.
The original rubber M5 bushing on my m5 failed when I had the car on jacks
replacing the front brakes.

I would also suggest a lower control arm from the E-31, 8 series (p/n: 31 12
1 138 477/478).  The lower control arm is identical to the E-34, E-32
aluminum arm however it has a spherical bearing at the chassis end instead
of the rubber bushing.

Also, for the E-24/28 rear swing arms, I would suggest installing the E-34,
M5 sliding bushing (p/n: 33 32 1 135 808).  With this upgrade you may want
to consider installing an adjustable inner swing arm mount.

The lower control arm and sliding swing arm bushing will substantially
reduce the flex in the E-24/28 suspension without adding harshness.

For part numbers go to:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Rod...
Rodney Moore