  Body Work
  Re: Body Work
  Re: Body Work in DC area
  Re: E90 - Looking for a dipstick

Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:03:39 -0400
From: David Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Body Work

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but this is the first time this
has happened to me in a long, long time and I'm somewhat ignorant of the
processes at this point.

My car was smacked by another person in a parking lot damaging the trunk
lid, the rear clip, and the rear bumper.  I think it was a pretty
low-speed impact, but it was enough to put a huge wrinkle/buckle in the
truck lid especially.

I've contacted both involved insurance companies.  I assume that the
offending party's insurance company will take care of this since it was
100% their insured's fault.  I also assume that they are going to try to
get the cheapest fix available out there.  Obviously, my goal is to get
the best repair out there.  I know that I can get good advice regarding
reputable body shops that can take care of the repair either here or
through BMWCCA members or other internet sites.

Do I have the right to specify who repairs the car?  Do I have to get a
couple of estimates?  Can I specify things like genuine BMW parts only?
Will a body shop automatically check for more severe damage that I can
see externally (i.e bent frame, etc.)?  Can these parts be repaired?  Or
can I assume they will be replaced with new parts?

The car is a pristine 2003 M5 with 5800 miles on it.  It is a pampered
car with a gaping wound.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm in
Potomac, MD near Washington, D.C.  Anyone have recommendations on where
it should go to be repaired?

Thanks,
David Hwang