  Re: Dinan Chips
  Isetta restoration gone mad

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:05:04 -0500
From: Ben Keyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: UUC Digest <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: Dinan Chips

under-calling is relatively common I think.  it's relatively common
knowledge that the 3.2l US M3 motors were more like 250-255
as compared to the advertised 240.  there have been a number of
mis-steps made by Mazda (1.8l Miata & RX-8 IIRC) as well as the
big to-do about the "320" hp Mustang Cobras.  consequently there's
little point in (or chance to get away with over-calling the numbers
any more.  under-calling was the norm with Japanese market cars
until the last year or two with their gentleman's agreement to not
exceed 280hp JIS net, which is 276hp SAE or something like that.
I forget how it converts to euro DIN ponies, but it's close to ours.

a new SAE testing procedure was rolled out recently & in some cases
it resulted in _higher_ numbers, most prominently the new Cadillac STS-V
which gained something like 25 hp to 469 or so.  use of the new procedure
is voluntary at this point but I think it is required for new engines on sale
after some date.

A friend had some dealings with people at BMW Mfg in SC and they
said the "standard" figure of 15 or 18% was way too high, esp when
high hp was involved (he has a Mod car).  I know from personal experience
at my last job that there's a significant under-calling in some of our
engines, for various reasons.  with the easy access to dynos which
exists today, most anything new of any interest ends up on a dyno in
a matter of days of going on sale.  witness all the dyno runs of the new
ZO6 which were posted in the first few weeks they were on the market.
in those cases there's a very well defined level of loss involved in the
drivetrain as well, since there is engine dyno history which can be used
to baseline a particular drivetrain combination to establish a nominal
correction factor.

Ben
former engine plant finance weasel