Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:58:41 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: Maverick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 318ti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, UUC <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Sudden idle and surge/miss issue P1140 DTC

my 96 318ti with 95,000 miles suddenly started running very poorly and I would
appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

I started it up this morning and it spit and sputered and quit, never really
started.  Next hit and she caught fine, but by the time I backed out of the
driveway a CEL was set.  I really needed to get to work and it seemed to idle
fine at the time and the CEL was solid so I drove off gently.  Within a half
mile I felt what seemed to be a slight miss and surge condition at part
throttle and 2000-3000 revs.  I continued on and it seemed better.  After
stoping and pulling off again I felt the same condition.  Went another mile or
so and pulled off and the idle was lopie.  I shut down and it restarted ok, but
still a miss or stumble in the idle.  I took it easy and returned home and the
idle was and remains bumpy like a cylinder is not firing everytime.

I took another car and let it sit until tonight when I put my AutoEnginuity to
use and pulled back two results:

STORED DTC:
P1140 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem

PENDING DTC:
P0170 Fuel Trim (Bank 1)

It still is idleing poorly, so I am not driving it so as not to do any damage
to the engine/cat.

Any suggestions where to start?  This is my normal daily driver, so I need her
back...besides the Roadmaster is such a boat.

Thanks in advance,

David Ellsworth in Richmond, VA

------------------------------

airflow? check the rubber boot around your air intake by the MAF and the
manifold.  The rubber can rot creating massive air leaks and your car will run
like [EMAIL PROTECTED]  That was the problem on my 325 when I had similar
symptoms.

Marc Plante
E36 325i Sold @230k
E36 M3/4  71k
Vienna, VA

I was dodging rain drops unsuccessfully last night so did not look.

It is on my first look list.

David Ellsworth