Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:24:58 +0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Re: <E30> strut brace

Clarence, any chance you'd have an opportunity to do any before-after testing
on the strut brace?  Lap times or skidpad numbers?  It would make an
interesting study.

Way back when the E30 and E28 were current models, Steve Dinan gave a
suspension presentation at a GGC monthly membership meeting (that was when we
actually had monthly menbership meetings, those were the days).   He discussed
springs, shocks/struts, sway bars, camber modifications, alignment specs,
wheels and tires, all kinds of neat stuff.  Eventually someone asked him about
strut braces.  His reply went something like this:  If you've already changed
wheels, tires, springs, shocks and struts, sway bars, camber, and maybe
bushings, and you are actually able to drive the car to its limits, and you
still need a few hundreths of a second improvement in lap times, buy a strut
brace.

At the time of his presentation, Dinan did not offer strut braces.  Years later
he added them to his product mix.  Guess he must have figured that people were
going to buy them anyway, so they might as well buy them from him.

Anyway, I know from experience that there are folks out there who will swear by
their strut braces and will insist that they make a world of difference.  Thus
my question.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA

>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:15:15 -0600
>From: Clarence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: UUC Digest <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
>Subject: <E30> strut brace
>
>My '87 325 has H&R springs, Bilstein Sports and the M3 control arm
>bushings but no other modifications.  A garage that had aligned it told
>me what amount of negative camber there was (don't remember the number)
>and he suggested it was probably right for my purposes;  he knew I
>tracked the car.
>
>I've now come into possession of a strut brace.  My question is 'if I
>install the brace, and it would appear the tops of the struts may have
>to be pushed out a little, will I then loose any negative camber?'  If
>so, and for track purposes, am I better to not install the brace?
>
>I do not have any problems with adverse tire wear at this time, other
>than the outsides, front and back, get eaten IMO too much at the track.
>
>TIA
>
>Clarence
>West Bend, WI

I think strut braces are helpful on the E30 cabrio, although a solid
bar, like the Sparco or IE is likely more effective than the hinged
Eibach bar I currently run.

Mark Gold
Sacramento Valley BMWCCA