Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 9:54:31 -0700
From: Tom Viers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: RPMs Holding on 97 540i

My rpm's hold between shifts. I've checked the throttle linkage and floor mats
against the accel. pedal, etc. I also sprayed brake cleaner around the vacuum
hoses to eliminate the possibility of a vacuum leak. I removed and cleaned the
Idle Control Valve and the door moves freely now, but no change in the rpms
holding. I disconnected the electrical from the ICV and the problem goes away.
Plug it back in and it reappears. I hate to replace the ICV if it's not the
problem as they are about $350. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Check the throttle position switch.  If then DME doesn't know the throttle
is closed, the idle valve stays open.
Gary Derian