To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
Richard Cox wrote:
> To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ----------
> The new instance of the "Storm" worm launched on Christmas Eve is already
> having a major impact (see http://www.spamhaus.org/news.lasso?article=624)
>
> Whoever planned this worm attack was clever - he ran all his malware
> domains (which the victims click on to download their "greetings cards"
> - aka trojans) on fast-flux (botnet) hosting, relying on the Russian
> ccTLD (nic.ru) to do the updates.  Unfortunately for all of us, nic.ru
> is closed for Christmas and New Year - not returning until January 9th.
>
> Many people have tried to contact nic.ru, both by telephone (during their
> advertised opening times) and by email but nic.ru do not reply.  Ten more
> days of infection - at the very least - will get that guy one huge botnet
> and I know I don't need to mention what that sort of power could do.
>
> If anyone DOES know of an emergency process to contact nic.ru, could
> they either use it, post it here, and/or mail me directly with it?
>
> Thanks - and seasonal greetings all round!
>
> Best regards

Darn - my last Russian contact left the country last year...  Don't know
anyone who lives in Moscow anymore or I would have them physically
go to there they are and contact them...

Also,  calling Russian ISP's (assuming you get around the language barrior)
can be daunting...  VIOP and other cheap means to call Russia aside,  is
still
rather difficult.

Also,  I hear a lot of Russian ISP's are "on the take" and cater to a
lot of fraud
and other activities...

Good luck in your venture...  and find someone who speaks fluent Russian for
starters...

John