--- Jeroen van Baardwijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At Stardate 20030626.0008, Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> > > BTW, I don't know how this is handled elsewhere, but in The Netherlands
> > > going to Law School is just like going to any other school: the
> government
> > > doesn't pay for it, you'll have to pay for it yourself (despite the
> > > existence of student loans from the government).
> >
> >To an american this si scarry!
>
> Why is it scary that people pay for their own education?

Not that part, the part about having a profesion of a judge and not having
jurrurs.

> >How do you make sure that the judge does not abuse that very extream
> >power. We all know how something can be twisted by one person to fit.
>
> Checks and balances. If a prosecutor doesn't like the judge's decision, he
> can appeal to a higher court. If the defendant's lawyer doesn't like the
> judge's decision, he can appeal to a higher court.

Same here, only we have jurrurs making the dicision. There has been enough
talk on jurys and why we think they are better. I may not convince you of
this, but you are not going to convince me that a judge is better (in a
chriminal case)

> Further, a judge is
> accountable to the Justice Dept.; when reports come in about a judge
> seemingly abusing his powers, the Justice Dept. will investigate and if
> necessary take action.

You certainly do trust your governemnt a lot.

> >The addition of a required explination on the other hand sounds like a
> >good idea. "Explain the proof" that is an improvement that I will be
> >mailing to my senator and congraswoman as soon as I can get it reviewed
> >for spelling etc..
>
> More accurately: "explain how you reached your decision".

It sounds good that a jury should have to explain their decision. What else?

=====