At Stardate 20030626.0008, Jan Coffey wrote:

> BTW, I don't know how this is handled elsewhere, but in The Netherlands
> going to Law School is just like going to any other school: the government
> doesn't pay for it, you'll have to pay for it yourself (despite the
> existence of student loans from the government).

To an american this si scarry!

Why is it scary that people pay for their own education?

How do you make sure that the judge does not abuse that very extream power. We all know how something can be twisted by one person to fit.

Checks and balances. If a prosecutor doesn't like the judge's decision, he can appeal to a higher court. If the defendant's lawyer doesn't like the judge's decision, he can appeal to a higher court. Further, a judge is accountable to the Justice Dept.; when reports come in about a judge seemingly abusing his powers, the Justice Dept. will investigate and if necessary take action.

The addition of a required explination on the other hand sounds like a good idea. "Explain the proof" that is an improvement that I will be mailing to my senator and congraswoman as soon as I can get it reviewed for spelling etc..

More accurately: "explain how you reached your decision".

Jeroen van Baardwijk