I agree. Also on your last point.

Martin Malmkvist
---

You're welcome, and thank you for saving me all that typing. I'll just
add a few notes. Firstly, as far as I can see the collapse of the Third
Reich was caused by lack of resources, most especially the shortage of
oil. It's almost pitiful to read how the main strategy of the Wehrmacht
during the Battle of the Bulge was to capture Allied fuel dumps to
allow continued fighting; or to compare the very small number of
Luftwaffe aircraft still operational during the D Day landings with
those deployed during the Battle of Britain. Secondly, that this known
shortage of oil was behind the gigantic pincer movement stragegy that
attempted to secure oil through the Caucasus or Egypt, and that this
meant that the most important Allied victories were at Stalingrad and
el-Alamein, which stopped this lunge for oil. (Similarly, the most
important bombing campaign may have been the bombing of facilities in
the Romanian oilfields by the Soviets.) Thirdly, the main US
contribution to the war effort in terms of the final victory was
provided by the vast flood of lend-lease goods into Britain and the
Soviet Union (it's often said that the Red Army marched to Berlin in
American boots), and in the Battle of the Atlantic that helped keep the
supply routes to Britain and Murmansk open.

Having said all that, I think it's pretty wonderful that Western Europe
was finally liberated by the American, Canadian and British forces and
not by the Red Army.

Rich

[Sponsored by:]
The newest lyrics on the Net!