> > reasonable
> > they'll

> > your
> > >
> > > No please explain. Besides as someoen who has a website and list
> > dedicated
> > > DB, and knowing DBs opinons on Otherness and a "healthy distrust of
> > > governement" I would liek to hear your opinons.
> > >
> > > We distrust governement becouse nearly all of us were, or have
ancestors
> > who
> > > were burned by one governement or another (even the USA). So I would
not
> > say
> > > that our distrust is unwarented.
> > >
> > > Why should we care what your perception of our governemtnal distrust
is?

> > Didn't this whole thread start out as an attempt to better understand
why
> > Americans sometimes regard themselves as being mistreated in foreign
> > countries?  Could this not be a matter of the perception of this
> > governmental mistrust?
> >

> Something of that sort. It was more, what do Europeans have against us.
This
> thread was an attempt for each side to better understand eachother.
>
> But in any event, you are correct. It could make a difference in this
> reguard. But once again. it comes back to an inherent ownes of acceptance.
>
> A Eropean may say "you should change your method of interacting with us
> becouse we see you as being paranoid becouse you don't trust governemnts."
> Or some such thing -please correct this statment if you feel the need-.
But
> the point is this may sound like the appropriate and correct thing for
> someoen outside (like an alien or something) who shares the ethical model
of
> Europe.

I would say that the situation is not so simplistic.  If Americans do not
trust governments in general, then when in a foreign country, they would be
mistrusting of the duly elected representatives of the people who they put
their trust in.  By extension, they would be saying that these people do not
know how to govern themselves, which can be quite insulting.  This goes
beyond mere cultural understanding, I'd say.  But that's just my view.

It still seems to me that the level of violence in the United States is not
something that one would expect from a supposedly "tolerant" country.  And
need I mention "freedom fries"?

> Put quite clearly we are not paranoid. We have a very recent example which
we
> can reference. The UN had 3 resolutions (the numbers escape me at the
moment,
> two in the 600 range and, I beleive, 1441) in any even we made strategic
> decisions based on these resolutions as if they were international -law-.
We
> were willing to, once again, be the inforcement of this law. But when that
> time came, we were put in a precarious position by several countries
> renigging on that law. It would seem then that our distrust of athority is
> once again supported.

So you're not paranoid; you just mistrust all governments?

-J

[Sponsored by:]
The newest lyrics on the Net!