On 26 Feb 2004, at 9:00 pm, iaamoac wrote:

Then again, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - if
you genuinely want to positively change someone's behavior, you
contact them off-list.  Otherwise you call them out in public, and
end up far more likely just putting them on the defensive rather than
making any positive change.

"Positive change" meaning "agree with JDG" :)

I can see no reason to contact someone off-list about a post unless they are someone one has

1) an existing off-list relationship with (personally, by email, chat or whatever)
2) or a strong feeling of liking and or respect from just the list

*AND*

One feels they are making a big fool of themselves because they got out of the wrong side of bed that day or other silly gripe.

*THEN* It might be OK to suggest off-list they calm down or whatever, as a friend.

Otherwise, if you can't say it in public, shut up.

You are very much on probation with respect to your manners in my regard.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs.  -- Robert Firth