John W Redelfs wrote:

> My atheist father used to tell me that "might makes right" is a bad
> philosophy?  Why?  Unless there is a God who is against it, why
> would that philosophy be any better or worse than any other? Upon
> what do atheists base their morality?  I've never been able to
> understand this.  If selection of the species is determined by
> survival of the fittest, isn't "might" the ultimate good,
>  biologically speaking?  The strong are just doing nature a favor by
> rubbing out the weak, preferably before they have a chance to
> reproduce.  Following this line of reasoning, would not killing
> babies be one of the "moral" things a person could do?  That way
> only the babies of the strongest parents would be able to survive,
> and that would improve the bloodline, isn't that so?

I think you should be careful to define _what_ are the goals,
so that you can define what is "good" and what is "evil". If the
goal is the long-range survival of intelligence and diversity,
or even of diversity of intelligence, then killing weak babies
is "evil".

But it requires too much thinking to conclude that - and atheists
are no smarter than fundamentalist theists, and will be satisfied
with short-range egoistical goals. Short-term egoistical goals
for theists mean "do good or God will punish you". Short-term
egoistical goals for atheists lead to mass murder.

Alberto Monteiro