Mike, I think it's not "how much data is Cake intended to deal with"
is how much data your app is intended to deal with,
thousands of records is not something that should be dealed by php,
the database does it much faster and safer.
Having lots of data in database doesn't mean you have to deal with
them always - I would say ever - because you would rarely want users
stumbling their heads on to a 800+ rows report,  I would say that
using a  30+ limit in a report/index is already annoying.
Now how do you intend to support thousands of records include in the
app database if not with a file upload? there's no way to make a user
fill more than three forms at once... And as the database can handle
files, al you have to do is parse the file if needed.

Cake loves you and will do lots of things for you, but it's still php
and still uses memory, relies on cpu process and all this stuff.

rafaelbandeira3
http://rafaelbandeira3.wordpress.com