Thanks for the response - the idea of 'minimizing data that PHP
processes' as a design pattern for PHP web apps is an insight that I
had totally missed, and appreciate your pointing it out.  It also
helps to explain why there isn't a whole lot on the internet about
perf tuning/profiling CakePHP apps :)

I think I may have mis-architected my program.  What I wanted to do is
have a student visit a single page, where everything is available.
Using the HTML fieldsets as visual panels, I wanted to have a panel
that would let the student upload their homework (which requires a
list of homeworks for the current course), another panel with a set of
links to work that they'd previously uploaded (so they can see that it
was submitted, and so that they can re-download it later), etc, etc.
My hope was that I could ask Cake to get the user information for the
current student, set recursive = 3, and then have Cake prune away any
data that didn't pertain to the current student.  After which, it's
quick-and-easy to render all the stuff that I'm looking for :)

I think that because of the way I've got my tables set up, recursive=3
and doing a find on the user account didn't quite go deep enough (I'm
not quite sure if this is a bug in PHP, or my code, or what)(almost
certainly my code, but I haven't debugged it enough to get beyond the
initial stage of "This _should_ work" :)  )

So I'm worried about scalability not because of trying to display 800
rows at once, but because I think that I'm mis-using Cake to get too
much info & pruning it back once it's all in memory.

Actually, if you don't mind - what sort of capacity should Cake/PHP
have for pulling stuff into memory?
I assume that anything less than 100 rows of data should be fine -
what about 200?  300?  500?  I don't know if anyone's done any sort of
measurements about "CPU X, with memory Y GB, Cake can draw Z records
into memory in A milliseconds", but it would be fascinating to see :)

Thanks again for the quick, really helpful response!
(And, for what it's worth, I'm loving Cake right back! :)  )
--Mike