With regards to the demux option, for the system you describe you want -d 2
(I.e. demux by = run the FPGA at half the sample rate, and process two
samples in parallel on every FPGA clock cycle). Basically, provided you
have the up to date ruby package, all you need to do is run adc16_init.rb
with appropriate options, and that will program your roach and set
everything up for you.

I think the default mode of the adc16 ruby script assumes that, whatever
mode you're using the ADC in, the external clock provided is at the sample
rate. Though, as Matt added, the ADC supports other dividing options if
they're useful to you and you're willing to read the ADC data sheet to work
out how to set the divider properties.

Cheers
Jack