Also, I don't think the problem is the software register, I think the
problem is present in both your designs, but in the "working" model the
compiler is optimizing away all the failing logic paths, which presumably
aren't actually doing anything given the way the blocks in the model are
connected together.

>From the passing timing report:

Timing constraint:
TS_ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_bufg_i_2_ =
PERIOD TIMEGRP
"ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_bufg_i_2_"
TS_adc16_line_clk / 0.5 HIGH 50%;
For more information, see Period Analysis in the Timing Closure User Guide
(UG612).

* 1863 paths analyzed, 1143 endpoints analyzed, 0 failing endpoints*
 0 timing errors detected. (0 setup errors, 0 hold errors, 0 component
switching limit errors)
 Minimum period is   3.235ns.

>From the failing timing report:
Timing constraint:
TS_ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_bufg_i_2_ =
PERIOD TIMEGRP
"ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_ears_sbp22_adc16x250_8_bufg_i_2_"
TS_adc16_line_clk / 0.5 HIGH 50%;
For more information, see Period Analysis in the Timing Closure User Guide
(UG612).

* 79231860653 paths analyzed, 61736 endpoints analyzed, 12780 failing
endpoints*
 12780 timing errors detected. (12746 setup errors, 34 hold errors, 0
component switching limit errors)
 Minimum period is  20.890ns.

The lack of paths analysed in the passing report suggests to me that most
of your design has been removed during optimization...

Jack