Dear Rui:

Did you by any chance install an old ppc version of X11 onto an intel machine?
If so, it might be running via Rosetta, which is an emulator provided for
transition, but could account for lousy performance.  OS X 10.6 comes with X11
installed by default, so you might have clobbered it with something else if you
"installed X11".  If that is the case, simply reinstalling the X11 on the 10.6
install disk should fix your problem.

Also, run the command

file /whatever/path/to/bin/coot-real

If it returns

 Mach-O executable ppc

then you need to use an intel-compatible coot for best performance.

HTH,

Bill