For what it is worth (I'm fairly confident that indeed this is not the cause of
the problem you are seeing, but better checking than missing the point):

The current MacBook Pro also have two GPU, one integrated in the chipset and a
more powerful dedicated one.

By default only the chipset integrated one is on (to save on power
consumption), so if you're doing graphics it is worth going in "system
preference" -> "energy saver" and at the top preference window check that
"Graphics" is set to "Higher performance"...
A bummer is that it is currently necessary to restart one's session to go from
one setting to the other, and I'm not 100% sure that this setting is preserved
upon reboot of the machine...

Cheers,

Serge.