Dear Andrew,

I would suggest that Larousse may need to revisit their entry -
freeze-drying (in every context I have come across it) refers to
lyophilisation, which (i) specifically requires the formation of ice
crystals, and (ii) results in the removal of all of the resulting ice from
the sample.

Tom

--
Skype: tom.murray.rust