Bernard Dixon is merely copying the great essay by George Orwell 'politics and
the english language'. Its well worth a read.

In it, Orwell lays out about six simple rules for writing good english prose.

Three of them are:
never use the passive voice.
Always use the anglosaxon word instead of the Latin one:
Break any of the rules above rather than say something outright barbarous.

Ie. I froze the crystals. Not the crystals were vitrified.

Other languages have different rules - habits - for what makes for clarity of
thought in prose.

I think anyone who uses vitrified should ask themselves 'why I trying to write
a simple idea in a way that a layman can't understand'?

Just thought some short chain liquid hydrocarbon should be ejected in a
parabolic arc under the force of gravity (g=9.81 m/s/s, ie the current planet
at h=0 above mean sea level) in the direction of an inflammatory ongoing
situation.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone