From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of David
Roberts
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:03 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] need some suggestions for crystallization

So, I know I say this every time I post on this board, but here it goes again.

I'm at an undergrad only school, and every 2 years I teach a class in protein
crystallography.  This year I'm being super ambitious, and I'm going to take a
class of 16 to the synchrotron for data collection.
It's just an 8 hour thing, to show them the entire process.  I'm hoping that we
can collect 5-6 good data sets while there.

I would like them to grow their own crystals, and go collect data. Then we'd
come back and actually do a molecular replacement (pretty easy/standard
really).  Just to get a feel for how it works.

The protein I do research on is not one that I would push on this, as the
crystals are hard to grow, they are very soft, and the data just isn't the best
(resolution issues).  I do have a few that will work on my proteins, but I was
thinking of having others in the class grow up classic proteins for data
collection.  Obviously lysozyme is one, but I was wondering what other standard
bulletproof conditions are out there.

Can you all suggest some protein crystallization conditions (along with cryo
conditions) for some commercially available proteins?  I'm looking to get 6-8
different ones (and we'll just take them and see how it goes).  I wouldn't mind
knowing unit cell parameters as well (just a citation works, I can have them
figure it out).  I have about 7 weeks to get everything grown and frozen and
ready to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  It always amazes me how helpful this
group is.  Thank you very much.

Dave