oops, I should have expanded my comments to include the sort of funky lattice
order-disorder Zbyszek so cleverly diagnosed.  Scratch that "perfect twinning"
comment in my last message.
From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of Phoebe A. Rice
[pr...@uchicago.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:34 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Strange density in solvent channel and high Rfree

Hi Zbyszek,
  If the issue is perfect twinning, I agree - good point!
  But you don't want to confuse people who simply have nearly-but-not-quite
crystallographic symmetry (OK, I'm being a bit pedagogical here, but a lot of
newbies read the BB).  We had a case of P31 that was so close to P61 we
actually solved the molecular replacement problem in P61, then expanded it back
and re-rigid-bodied it.  We've played similar games with translational
pseudo-symmetry (ignoring the weak spots at first).  In cases like that it is
important to properly reprocess the data in the lower symmetry space group (or
smaller unit cell) because there is real information in those small
differences.  However, the point about Rfree holds for twinning or rotational
pseudo-symmetry: the Rfree flags should be expanded by the xtal symmetry
operators, not re-picked in the lower symmetry space group.
           Phoebe

Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The University of Chicago
773 834 1723; pr...@uchicago.edu
http://bmb.bsd.uchicago.edu/Faculty_and_Research/
http://www.rsc.org/shop/books/2008/9780854042722.asp