From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Chris Fage
<fage...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:40:34 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Protein rapidly precipitates when off ice

Dear CCP4BB Community,

This week, I purified a nicely overexpressing protein by Ni-NTA followed by gel
filtration. In a 4 C centrifuge, I concentrated my gel filtration fractions to
~1 mL, transferred the spin filter to ice, and then collected 2 uL for
measurement on the Nanodrop. Sadly, the protein precipitated heavily in the
pipet tip before I could dispense it onto the Nanodrop pedestal, directly
adjacent to my ice box. This effect seems to be abated at 4 C, as the protein
remained stable in cold room-chilled pipet tips. However, the protein also
precipitated heavily when overnight at 4 C in 1 mL gel filtration buffer (150
mM NaCl, 10 mM HEPES pH 7.5), but not overnight at 4 C in 10 mL Ni-NTA buffer
(500 mM NaCl, 30 mM HEPES pH 7.5, 10% glycerol) prior to gel filtration. Has
anyone experienced and resolved a similar issue before? Do any useful additives
come to mind?

Things I have tried with the gel filtration sample:
-Exchanging buffer to restore the salt concentration to Ni-NTA levels (e.g. 500
mM).
-Exchanging buffer to add 10% glycerol.
-Simply diluting the protein in gel filtration buffer to rule out concentration
dependence.

In each case, the protein precipitates to a milky solution within about a
minute of removal from ice (I am working with 20-50 uL volumes in PCR tubes).

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Best,
Chris