Hi Chris,

In your Ni-NTA buffer, the total [Na+] could be greater than 530mM after
titration. Likely, your protein likes higher concentration salt for surface
charge stabilization. Adding Glycerol may further modify the charge
distribution and make the protein happy in the solution. For further
verification, I usually try the buffer without Glycerin or replace it with
small PEG (PEG 100) for +/- impacts, respectively. Indeed, it is pretty
good starting point for crystallization.

I noticed that HEPES is also slightly temperature dependent. In most of the
cases, the gap could be ignored. It may be helpful. In my previous cases, I
tried PBS and Bis-tris with the same pH. The stability was improved great.

Can you keep every thing same but different kind of buffer?

Hope it would be helpful.

Sincerely.

--
Kevin Jin

Sharing knowledge each other is always very joyful......

Website: http://www.jinkai.org/