I did not follow all the responses to this, but, did you try to use the Ni-NTA
buffer (500 mM NaCl, 30 mM HEPES pH 7.5, 10% glycerol) to run the gel
filtration?

Yuzhu.

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Chris Fage
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2017 3:33 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Protein rapidly precipitates when off ice

Dear All,

Thank you for the many suggestions. After sending my first message to the BB, I
tried exchanging the sample into buffer containing 5 mM EDTA and also into
buffer at pH 9.0 (using BICINE). Neither of these appear to have helped the
instability--precipitation still occurred within ~1 min of removal of the tube
from ice. The theoretical pI is ~6.1, which is far from my working pH, although
as Mark indicated the calculated pI may be inaccurate, and I may even need to
try a more acidic pH. I will test the ideas provided by everyone over the next
week and leave some feedback. It may be that I need to prepare a different
truncation, as this domain is excised from a larger covalent assembly. I have
purified homologs trimmed at a similar position in the past, but of course that
doesn't guarantee good behavior in my current system.

Best,
Chris

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Eugene Osipov