On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Thomas Strunz <beginn...@hotmail.de> wrote:
> But does it enforce good/non-harmful error handling?
>
> I would say a very large amount will be infamous:
>
> try{
> } catch(Exception ex){
> }
>
>  or
>
> try{
> } catch(Exception ex){
>     ex.printStacksTrace()
> }

Ah, not to disarm you from your argument... but this can be catched
with PMD. (Of course, people do need to use it :)

> I mean checked exceptions assume developers are bad/lazy (eg. can't document
> and don't read documentation) but they expect them to be able to do proper
> exception handling?

Still, the community moves in a better scientific code base quality...
think, the "Open Research Computation"
(http://www.openresearchcomputation.com/).

> Anyway, maybe I'm just too inexperienced to see the reason. The most
> important thing for CDK is to throw exceptions more granular.

Yes, I think we all support that aspect.

> If you catch a
> CDKException right now I'm still pretty clueless what it actually means (IO;
> AtomType,...).

Yes, and we will move away from that...

BTW, did someone stand up to draft a proposal (can be informal, no big
deal, just for further discussions...)

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen