> I can admit, I have some really sloppy code from my first years as a coder.
>
> So did I--like you said, I imagine most did with their first applications.

  And those were the ones that mattered most. They don't care about

> frameworks, OO, languages, wire frames, documentation or preferences, they
> want solutions yesterday and for less money than the "other guy". I always
> took the best of what I knew the most, at that time and delivered
> it as fast as I could.

I agree fast delivery is essential, and it is definitely the most important
thing as far as clients are concerned. It makes no sense to be a code snob
if that results in the project being 2 weeks past due. On the other hand,
the practice of being a disciplined developer usually results
in collecting/creating a toolbox of non-business-specific utility functions
that you can deploy readily with no development time.

I wish I knew how to strike the perfect balance between being fast and being
good, but it is fun to keep trying.