We have built hundred of sites, and I would not build one without a
contract.  What works for us is to have a boilerplate contract that covers
the basic stuff, then add EXHIBITS to the boilerplate for the things that
vary from job to job.

Boilerplate Stuff:
- Confidentiality
- Design Timeline
- Responsibilities
- Content Ownership
- Hosting
- Use of Copywritten Material
- Deadlines for Content Submission
- Local Law Provisions
- Indemnification
- Terms of Service
- etc.

Exhibits:
- Scope of work
- Re-Occurring Fees (like hosting)
- Maintenance Fees
- Installation Fees
- Hardware
- Payment Terms

Hope that helps.  I would NEVER build a site without ALL of this.
A web site application and a verbal agreement are much to subjective to hold
up in a court of law.
Make sure that they initial EVERY page, too.   Good clients will respect you
for your thoroughness.
Bad clients get weeded out and save you time and money.

John McKown, VP Business Services
Delaware.Net, Inc.
30 Old Rudnick Lane, Suite 200 Dover, DE 19901
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: 302-736-5515
fax: 302-736-5945
icq: 1495432