On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Thomas Van Lenten
<thoma...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Actually, it think it's sorta captured --
> chrome.gyp has chrome_resources_inputs, which is created by running a script
> to figure out the input from the grd files.  Looking at my xcode project,
> there is a dependency on common/extensions/api/extension_api.json for the
> grd files listed in chrome_resources_grds.

I stand corrected!

In the makefile it ends up with a layer of indirection due to grit
having two outputs, so it works like this:
- gen/chrome/grit/browser_resources.h depends on the .json
- gen/chrome/browser_resources.pak depends on
gen/chrome/grit/browser_resources.h
- and then the eventual browser .pak files depend on those

I would try: build once, touch, the .json file, then build again and
see which piece is failing to rebuild.
(Also try the same but try running the build twice in a row; there are
probably still some bugs there.)