Terrific. In Germany, political parties _are_ charitable organizations
("gemeinnützig") and donations to them are fully tax-deductable.

        Regards
                Henning

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 20:28, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Reid wrote:
> > Bill, are you seriously saying that laws in the EU will not have any impact
> > on the way the ASF carries on it's affairs? It saddens me as I thought we'd
> > moved away from this sort of small minded view of the world :(
>
> No, it means that, at least as far as the IRS is concerned, this is
> potentially an issue, as 501c3 charitable organizations are not supposed
> to be politically active.  The intent is to prevent people from being able
> to make political donations to support a candidate's election and write
> off those donations, as one example.  However, there are plenty of
> advocacy organizations whose 501c3 status is not a question: the EFF, for
> example.  So long as any advocacy we do is around issues and not elections
> or votes or specific politicians, we're good.
>
>       Brian

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)