Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for your quick answer.

> in a nutshell RAVE is basically AMAF adapted for Monte Carlo Tree Search.
> The original paper describing it is
> http://www.machinelearning.org/proceedings/icml2007/papers/387.pdf and a
> paper for "broader audience" can be found here:
> http://www.lri.fr/~gelly/paper/MoGoNectar.pdf (the picture you posted
> comes
> from that paper).

Yes, I took a screenshot. Another paper I looked at was
http://www.lri.fr/~teytaud/eg.pdf

> There are two important parts in the algorithms: the backup and the use of
> the RAVE value. The second is the hardest to tune and to make it right.
> The
> proposed way of using the values in the original paper is not optimal
> (while
> already very useful). A much better way (especially in 19x19) has been
> described on that list by David Silver.

Do you mean the calculation of the factor beta that the RAVE value is
multiplied with?

> For the backup (as it is your original question), for each node traversed
> by
> the simulation, back up the values exactly as it would be done in AMAF
> *if*
> the playout began at that node. Note that I call playout the whole
> simulation starting from the root and going to the end of the game.

I see what you mean with the playout going from the root to the end of the game.
How do you mean "back up the values ... if the playout began at that node"?
Since every playout starts
at the root (in my program, the root is the (previous) move of the opponent
player), wouldn't that mean
only updating the RAVE statistics for the root? I'm sorry if this question
sounds stupid.

>   - Count only moves that happen after the node.

How do you measure if a move is "after" another move? The amount of moves taken
from the root (i.e. the depth of the node in the tree/the playout)? Or do you
mean that the node is effectively a (grand-grand-...) father of the move, so
the playout has visited that node?

> I hope it will help you write a correct implementation. Don't hesitate to
> ask for precisions.

I really appreciate your help.

-ibd
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger