On Jan 15, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Daniel Waeber wrote:

yes, but the weight/color maps stay the same for all updated nodes.

I think the first playoutNode (the one most deep inside the tree) only
should get amaf values for the random playout, the next one form random
playout + from the first playoutNode ... and the root node amaf values
form all the nodes.

OK, I think I see now what you're trying to say. This is something I did think about. I hope my memory serves me well enough to say why I didn't do it that way.

- What you propose adds complexity and possibly computation (if it means recalculating or adjusting the weight map).
- I don't think it makes all that much difference.

The reason I don't think it makes much difference is that adding AMAF values for the moves above (closer to the root) the playoutNode is that most likely those points are now occupied. Since the AMAF values are used to compute which empty points are the best next candidate, the AMAF values at occupied points are immaterial. They are not even added. So it only makes a difference in cases where played stones get captured and those points then are occupied again. This brings us back to the issue discussed earlier about ko and ishi-no-shita.

Mark

P.S. what do I need to open that file? Is it a SVN patch?