From: terry mcintyre <terrymcint...@yahoo.com>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Wed, Aug 12, 2009 3:42 pm
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Dynamic komi at high handicaps

Ingo suggested something interesting - instead of changing the komi according
to the move number, or some other fixed schedule, it varies according to the
estimated winrate.

It also, implicitly, depends on one's guess of the ability of the opponent.

An interesting test would be to take an opponent known to be weaker, offer it a
handicap, and tweak the dynamic komi per Ingo's suggestion. At what handicap
does the ratio balance at 50:50? Can the number of handicap stones be increased
with such an adaptive algorithm?

Even better, play against a stronger opponent; can one increase the win rate
versus strong opponents?

The usual range of computer opponents is fairly narrow. None approach high-dan
levels on2019x19 boards - yet.

Terry McIntyre <terrymcint...@yahoo.com>

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” --
Aesop