The problem with MCTS programs  is that they like to consolidate.   You set
the komi and thereby give them a goal and they very quickly make moves which
commit to that specific goal.   Commiting to less than you need to actually
win will often involve sacrificing chances to win.    Sometime it won't,
but you cannot have a scalable algorithm which is this arbitrary.

However, if the handicap is too high, the program thinks every line is a
loss and it plays randomly.   That's why we even consider doing this.

Dynamically changing komi could be of some benefit in that situation if
there is no alternative reasonable strategy,   but it does not address the
real problem - which is what I call the "committal consolidation"
problem.      You are giving the program an arbitrary short term goal which
may,  or may not be compatible with the long term goal of winning the
game.     Whether it's compatible or not is based on your own credulity -
not anything predictible or that you can scale.   And as the base program
gets stronger this aspect of the program becomes more and more of a wart.

If this can be made to work in the short term,  it should be considered a
temporary hack which should be fixed as soon as possible.

We have to think about this anyway sooner or later because if programs
continue to develop and the predictive ability of the playouts and tree
search gets several hundred ELO better,  these programs may start to see
more and more positions as either dead won or dead lost.      I'm sure we
will want some kind of robust mechanism for dealing with this which is
better at estimating chances that the opponent will go wrong  as opposed to
doing something that is a random benefit or hindrance.

- Don