On 01.02.2016 23:01, Brian Cloutier wrote:> I had to search a lot of papers on MCTS which
> mentioned "terminal states" before finding one which defined them.
> [...] they defined it as a position where there are no more legal
> moves.

On 01.02.2016 23:15, Brian Sheppard wrote:
You play until neither player wishes to make a move. The players
> are willing to move on any point that is not self-atari, and they
are willing to make self-atari plays if capture would result in a
Nakade (http://senseis.xmp.net/?Nakade)

Defining "terminal state" as no more legal moves is probably inappropriate. The phrase "willing to move" is undefined, unless they exactly define it as "to make self-atari plays iff capture would result in a Nakade". This requires a proof that this is the only exception. Where is that proof? It also requires a definition of nakade. Where is that definition?

In my book Capturing Races 1, I have outlined a definition of "[semeai-]eye" and, in Life and Death Problems 1, of "nakade". Such are more complicated by far than naive descriptions online suggest. In particular, such outlined definitions depend on the still undefined "essential [string]", "seki" [sic, undefined as a strategic object because the Japanese 2003 Rules' definition does not distinguish good from bad strategy!] and "lake" [connected part of the potential eyespace..., which in turn is still undefined as a strategic object]. They also depend on "ko", but at least this I have defined: http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/ko.pdf Needless to say, determining the objects that are essential, seki, lake, ko is a hard task in itself.

So where is the mathematically strict "definition" of nakade? Has anybody proceeded beyond my definition attempts? I suspect the standard problem of research again: definition by reference to a different paper with an ambiguous description. If ambiguous terms are presumed for pragmatic reasons, this must be stated! My mentioned terms are ambiguous but less so than every other attempt - or where are the better attempts?

--
robert jasiek