On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Aja Huang <ajahu...@google.com> wrote:
> We are very excited to announce that our Go program, AlphaGo, has beaten a
> professional player for the first time. AlphaGo beat the European champion
> Fan Hui by 5 games to 0.

It's interesting to go back nearly a decade and read this 2007 article:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/cracking-go

where Feng-Hsiung Hsu, Deep Blue's lead developer, made this prediction:

"Nevertheless, I believe that a world-champion-level Go machine can be
built within 10 years"

Which now appears to be spot on. March 9 cannot come soon enough...
The remainder of his prediction rings less true though:

", based on the same method of intensive analysis—brute force,
basically—that Deep Blue employed for chess".

regards,
-John